Let’s meet up…
One Planet BC partners run numerous events throughout the year – a chance to learn together, put our plans in motion, and build our communities. Events (virtual & in-person) associated with One Planet BC are listed below.
For BC events related to sustainability, check out the following:
– Creatively United’s Vancouver Island and virtual events listing
– West Coast Climate Action Network for BC partner events listing
– Conversations for a One Planet Region hosts regular speaker events.
Collaboration and Speed Networking at Power to Be
We are planning to host a Collaboration and Speed Networking Event at Power to Be, tentatively on November 3rd (time TBD). This will be an exciting event where we discuss and uncover ways to support each other in implementing our One Planet Action Plans.
Free Online Climate Action Workshop Series (hosted by the District of Saanich)
Learn from Saanich staff and expert guests about ways to make your transportation, home, yard, and purchases more resilient and climate-friendly and different tools and rebates available to support you.
Come out of the series with your own personal prioritized climate action plan. Tuesday evenings, 7-8pm, Sept 20 – Nov 1, 2022
More about the series: https://www.saanich.ca/EN/main/community/sustainable-saanich/climate-change/climate-action-workshop-series.html
One Planet Living Training
One Planet BC will host an online One Planet Living training session this fall. The workshop will give participants an opportunity to learn about the One Planet Living approach and see how it could be applied to your organisation, initiative, school or business.
WHO IS THE TRAINING FOR?
The training is for people who wish to use the One Planet Living framework to integrate sustainability into their organization’s strategy and organizational culture.
WHAT DOES THE TRAINING INCLUDE?
We will introduce the ten One Planet Living principles and take you through the experience of applying the principles to create a One Planet Action Plan. You will also explore the skills and approaches necessary to make change happen. You will:
- Learn about One Planet Living – why it’s needed, how it works and how it transforms sustainability, as well as some of the key concepts behind it including systems thinking.
- Take part in focused sessions on developing your Action Plan
- Experience the One Planet journey: from co-creating a One Planet Action Plan through to implementing your Plan, monitoring and reporting on progress, and driving culture change.
- Understand how to become an effective ‘One Planet Integrator’ – developing hard and soft skills for implementing the One Planet Living principles.
WHO LEADS THE TRAINING?
The training will be delivered by Bioregional UK’s Joe Pitts-Cunningham, who leads Bioregional’s One Planet Cities program, supported by OneEarth’s Dagmar Timmer and Cora Hallsworth.
Get in touch with us on our contact page if you would like to be informed when registration is open.
12 – 17 September 2022
Youth-led Sustainable Lifestyles Series
Join for one or all the inspiring youth-led online Sustainable Lifestyles workshops (free) organized by the global Sustainable Lifestyles and Education (SLE) Contributor Cohort, which OneEarth co-hosts as part of the One Planet network – 10YFP. Topics include sustainable food, well-being, circular economy, and more. Join the sessions or sign up to receive the recordings here: https://lnkd.in/gthvNMrb
One Planet Youth Summit
A ‘One Planet Youth Summit’ was held in 2021 to celebrate Earth Day, culminating in six Saanich students winning three team prizes for their One Planet Film Festival videos. The Summit was an innovative on-line collaboration between One Planet Saanich students in Saanich, BC and their partner One Planet Community in Sonoma County, California. From a film contest, to a ‘Designing the School of the Future’ seminar, to a climate change workshop from the University of Victoria Speakers Bureau – the summit provided the students with the opportunity to meet, learn and share their ideas about how to create a One Planet world.
One Planet Living Training Sessions
A range of training sessions have been offered:
- March 4 & 7, 2022: One Planet Action Plan Training for new One Planet Saanich participants
- February 24, 2020: One Planet Saanich Implementation Training workshop
- February 20, 2020: One Planet Cities Orientation Workshop with South Island Prosperity Partnership
- September 2018: One Planet Integrator Training Sessions
Presentations and Webinars
The One Planet BC team have delivered numerous webinars and presentations:
- October 2021: United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP26) “Catalysing our Net Zero Future: working with people to take action on climate change”
- October 2021: UN Habitat Innovate for Cities Conference: “Consumption-based sustainability metrics help local governments understand their fair share of climate action”
May 2021: Webinar: Engaging Stakeholders on Consumption-Based Sustainability Metrics
- October 2019: Prospect Lake (Saanich) Annual General Meeting, “Building a One Planet City, Region and Island”
- March 8, 2019: Ideafest- Solutions for our Planet – more here
- February 17, 2019 – One Planet Living in Saanich presented to the First Unitarian Church of Victoria – slides here
- July 16, 2018- Community Innovators, Changemakers and Creatives – more here.
- June 20, 2018 – An Evening of Storytelling with Pooran Desai – more here.
Creating a One Planet Community (video)
In August 2018, One Planet Saanich participants – Mark, Cora, Rebecca and Trevor – shared their stories alongside changemakers from the region (20 in total!). “Inspiring stories of innovation, collaboration, community and creativity were shared with both a live and livestream audience worldwide around the theme of Creating a One Planet Community. It was hosted by Creatively United for the Planet nonprofit society and was MC’d by Frances Littman.
This video is of One Planet Saanich partner, the District of Saanich’s Rebecca Newlove, speaking with Frances Littman as part of the evening
In Saanich, participants convene at regular meet-ups focused on key topics of interest. Past events have focused on:
- Bouncing Forward from Covid
- Using a Materiality Assessment approach to prioritize action
- Local Opportunities in the Circular Economic
- How to Select Metrics for your One Planet Action Plan
- How to incorporate social equity into your One Planet Action Plan
We are grateful to live, work, and be in relation with people from across many traditional and unceded territories, covering all regions of British Columbia.