Let’s meet up…
One Planet BC partners run numerous events throughout the year – a chance to learn together, put our plans in motion, and build our communities. Events (virtual & in-person) associated with One Planet BC are listed below.
For BC events related to sustainability, check out the following:
– Creatively United’s Vancouver Island and virtual events listing
– West Coast Climate Action Network for BC partner events listing
– Conversations for a One Planet Region hosts regular speaker events.
2022 – 2023 (Coming Back in 2025)
One Planet Student Challenge
Launched in 2022, the One Planet Student Challenge is an annual event designed to spark innovative ideas for incorporating One Planet Living into our communities and everyday lives. While we’re taking a break in 2024, we’re excited to announce that the next region-wide Student Challenge will take place in 2025. This upcoming event promises even more resources to support and showcase your incredible work.
In the meantime, we invite you to explore the winners, runner-ups and honourable mentions from the past two years. For more details and to stay updated, visit One Planet Student Challenge.
November 3, 2022
Collaboration Workshop at Power to Be
At this workshop, the One Planet Saanich community came together to discuss and uncover ways to support each other in implementing their One Planet Action Plans.
12 – 17 September 2022
Youth-led Sustainable Lifestyles Series
Join for one or all the inspiring youth-led online Sustainable Lifestyles workshops (free) organized by the global Sustainable Lifestyles and Education (SLE) Contributor Cohort, which OneEarth co-hosts as part of the One Planet network – 10YFP. Topics include sustainable food, well-being, circular economy, and more. Join the sessions or sign up to receive the recordings here: https://lnkd.in/gthvNMrb
One Planet Youth Summit
A ‘One Planet Youth Summit’ was held in 2021 to celebrate Earth Day, culminating in six Saanich students winning three team prizes for their One Planet Film Festival videos. The Summit was an innovative on-line collaboration between One Planet Saanich students in Saanich, BC and their partner One Planet Community in Sonoma County, California. From a film contest, to a ‘Designing the School of the Future’ seminar, to a climate change workshop from the University of Victoria Speakers Bureau – the summit provided the students with the opportunity to meet, learn and share their ideas about how to create a One Planet world.
One Planet Living Training Sessions
A range of training sessions have been offered:
- March 4 & 7, 2022: One Planet Action Plan Training for new One Planet Saanich participants
- February 24, 2020: One Planet Saanich Implementation Training workshop
- February 20, 2020: One Planet Cities Orientation Workshop with South Island Prosperity Partnership
- September 2018: One Planet Integrator Training Sessions
Presentations and Webinars
The One Planet BC team have delivered numerous webinars and presentations:
- October 2021: United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP26) “Catalysing our Net Zero Future: working with people to take action on climate change”
- October 2021: UN Habitat Innovate for Cities Conference: “Consumption-based sustainability metrics help local governments understand their fair share of climate action”
- October 2019: Prospect Lake (Saanich) Annual General Meeting, “Building a One Planet City, Region and Island”
- March 8, 2019: Ideafest- Solutions for our Planet – more here
- February 17, 2019 – One Planet Living in Saanich presented to the First Unitarian Church of Victoria – slides here
- July 16, 2018- Community Innovators, Changemakers and Creatives – more here.
- June 20, 2018 – An Evening of Storytelling with Pooran Desai – more here.
Creating a One Planet Community (video)
In August 2018, One Planet Saanich participants – Mark, Cora, Rebecca and Trevor – shared their stories alongside changemakers from the region (20 in total!). “Inspiring stories of innovation, collaboration, community and creativity were shared with both a live and livestream audience worldwide around the theme of Creating a One Planet Community. It was hosted by Creatively United for the Planet nonprofit society and was MC’d by Frances Littman.
This video is of One Planet Saanich partner, the District of Saanich’s Rebecca Newlove, speaking with Frances Littman as part of the evening
In Saanich, participants convene at regular meet-ups focused on key topics of interest. Past events have focused on:
- Bouncing Forward from Covid
- Using a Materiality Assessment approach to prioritize action
- Local Opportunities in the Circular Economic
- How to Select Metrics for your One Planet Action Plan
- How to incorporate social equity into your One Planet Action Plan
We are grateful to live, work, and be in relation with people from across many traditional and unceded territories, covering all regions of British Columbia.